Biography of Mahboba
Mahboba Rawi: Founder of Mahboba's Promise
- As a school girl, Mahboba's life changed forever when the Russians invaded. In 1984 she was forced to flee Kabul after leading a student demonstration and she walked for ten days over the Kyber Pass to escape the threat of imprisonment.
- Mahboba lived for two years in a Pakistan refugee camp.
- As a teenager she married and moved to Australia and settled into the Australian way of life.
- Further tragedy touched her life in 1992 when she lost her son in a drowning accident at Kiama's blowhole on the NSW coast.
- Despite personal hardship, Mahboba began to successfully raise money and awareness among the Australian community for the plight of widows and orphans in Afghanistan.